Creative Musings of a Needlework Designer

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Circles

"Circles commonly represent unity, wholeness, and infinity. Without beginning or end, without sides or corners, the circle is also associated with the number one.
In some cases, there is a distinction between that which is contained within the circle and that which lies without."
Source http://altreligion.about.com/od/symbols/ig/Geometric-Shapes/Circles.htm
I have always been drawn to certain shapes. The two that really stand out for me are the circle and the hexagon. Recently I started exploring the circle in a stitched form. I was very inspired by embroiderer Chris Richards as she includes the circle shape in many of her embroideries. 
I drew a circle on muslin and then drew various sized circles inside. Some I marked off with little dots as I knew I wanted to create some spokes and needleweaving. I am posting a photo of my progress so far. I chose a very muted palette but can see more vibrant colours would be just as welcome. I will continue to experiment with the circle in a more three d format as I can see the addition of pockets, puffs, and holes would take the shape to another level. :) 

2 comments: